Wednesday, November 12, 2008

What to Do When Having a George Costanza Moment

Tonight I got home later than I would have liked to, but happy with the evening. I thought that hot chocolate sounded really good, and I was looking forward to having some. When I went into my apartment, however, I noticed that my sister and one of my roommates had the leftover apple pie out. I love apple pie. I wanted some. I hoped they would divide the pie into three pieces; it looked like there was enough. They didn't. In all fairness, my sister asked me if I wanted a bite, but as she had not had any when we first had it, I declined her offer. She was like, "Don't you want some?" "Yes," I replied. "This is cruel. I had to smell pie baking all during my class tonight, and then I didn't get any because I had a meeting while my class was sharing the pies." I still declined her offer. Instead I persisted in hoping Roommate would cut me a slice, but she didn't, of course. So, I totally went into this George Costanza moment, where I wouldn't say, "Hey, I know I didn't care about eating the apple pie until I saw it. In fact, I was looking forward to hot chocolate. But, now that I see the apple pie and am reminded that we have some, I really want some, too, and I'm going to feel totally slighted if you don't share!" but I sure felt it. So, I was upset that I didn't get apple pie, and I was irritated with myself for being childish and not just asking for some if I wanted it that badly and selfish for not being content to let my roommates enjoy their slices of apple pie and making some hot chocolate for myself to enjoy.

Fortunately, I did something I don't normally do. I made this goal that I won't blog until I've prayed at night because I've been falling asleep a lot lately without praying. I wanted to blog, but I remembered my rule and prayed first. I feel much better now, other than stirring some of that back up in writing. So, my point is, when I'm having a George moment, I should probably get out of the situation and pray. You all are probably a little more grown up than I am, but if you ever find yourself in a similar situation, it might work for you, too.

1 comment:

Christensen Family said...

I've had one too many of those moments. Praying would help so much.