Sunday, November 6, 2011

Relying on the Savior

Last night I read a paragraph from this conference talk that quoted from the following verse:

4 And after they had been received unto baptism, and were wrought upon and acleansed by the power of the Holy Ghost, they were numbered among the people of the bchurch of Christ; and their cnames were taken, that they might be remembered and nourished by the good word of God, to keep them in the right way, to keep them continually dwatchful unto prayer, erelying alone upon the merits of Christ, who was the author and the finisher of their faith.
(Moroni 6:4)

The portion that the talk quoted is from the last part of the verse where it speaks of "relying alone upon the merits of Christ." "Relying alone" stuck out to me - I know it is only through Christ that I can be saved. However, I get discouraged and frustrated with myself for constantly falling short. God gives us commandments, and we are supposed to keep them. I have made covenants with God that I will keep His commandments. And yet, I sin all the time. It's easy to feel really upset with myself and like I just can never make the grade. And that last part is true - I'm not going to make the grade. But if I can just remember and learn how to better rely alone on the merits of Christ, who never sinned but paid the penalties of all of my sins, then that gives me hope. I will fail me, but Christ won't.

No comments: