Monday, November 2, 2009

Not Standing Up

Tonight I did something for which I am totally ashamed. I didn't stand up to the Mormons. I have always felt, I think, that it was easier to stand up to those not of my faith because they were always so respectful of things that were "against my religion." When people who have the same beliefs as you want to do something you are not comfortable with, however, it seems a little harder to me because I don't want them to think I am self-righteous or that I think I am better than them, etc.

I am 29 years old, though, so I think I should be able to live my life the way I feel I should without giving in to peer pressure. Tonight I gave in. We didn't do anything illegal, we didn't hurt anyone. It could have be so much worse; but I could have been so much better. I feel even worse because I am a teacher; I shudder to think of any of my students finding out. Teachers are some of those people who should be above reproach, I think. I was not a good example tonight, and in not standing up and being a good example - in being passive - I acted as a bad example.

No comments: