Monday, November 23, 2009

Current Events

So, I guess now I really lost Nablopomo because I didn't post last night - oops! I went to bed way too late, so I guess I just forgot or didn't have the capacity to think clearly or something. This morning I woke up feeling pretty icky, and I seriously considered staying home from work. I went and made it through the day, though. My students were so cool, too - the counselor was also sick today. I told my kids that we weren't feeling well, and I asked them to keep things mellow - and they did! It doesn't work all the time, but as long as you don't overuse it, they will respond favorably to such requests sometimes. Maybe they were just all tired today, too. Whatever it was, I'm glad it was a mellow day.

The suggestion next on the list for posts is a current event. I think that foremost in my mind, currently, is one of those hot topics - the health care bill. I think that most of you are on my side with this one, but there may be a few exceptions. Instead of going into all of that, though, I'd like to focus on one part of this bill and many other current legislation issues that have passed or are in the works. One glaring problem I see with a lot that has been going on under the current administration (I'm not saying it hasn't gone on with past ones, but you've got to admit that this one seems to be taking the cake) is the monetary cost associated with everything. We are in a recession/depression/you-pick-what-you-want-to-call-it. I am familiar with the business adage that you have to spend money to make money, but aren't we taking things a bit far? Our country already has an enormous debt - a debt I don't think we even comprehend. Why are we making it worse and worse? The "We're increasing our debt to lower our debt" thing isn't flying with me. I prefer the more conservative thought that if you can't afford it, don't buy it. Not to say that I'm great at following that in my personal life - I don't want to be more of a hypocrite than I already am - but I REALLY DON'T LIKE the amount of money we're spending to "decrease" our national debt and pull us out of a recession. Aren't we in a recession because individually we have been spending more money than we actually have in our pockets for a number of years, and it's finally caught up with us? And so now we're promoting a government that's doing the same thing with our entire country?? I don't get it. And I don't agree with it. And I'm not going to be happy with the consequences that are going to come from it.

No comments: