Thursday, July 17, 2008

Road Trip - Days Eight & Nine

Nothing much to report here. I wasn't feeling well, so I sat around my grandparents' place and played the piano, read A LOT of Harry Potter, got a tan, and walked around their farm. My grandparents have a huge farm (to me it's big, at least), and so does my uncle, who's farm adjoins theirs. One of those two days my grandfather declared that he was going to take me for a ride on the four-wheeler around the farm. I really wasn't feeling well, and it ended up being a great distraction. My grandpa is in his eighties - he can't really feel his legs or feet anymore, I believe. Therefore, a four-wheeler is great for him because you control it with your hands, which he does have feeling in. So, in the afternoon, I hopped on behind him and we took off. I asked him to show me what was theirs, so I would know where I could walk. I found out I could go about anywhere; between my uncle and himself they have "a couple thousand" acres. I don't say that to brag. I'm not really sure how many acres the average farm is, but it was exciting to see a lot of land and know I could meander about it as much as I wanted to. Grandpa pointed out the different crops they have: wheat, feed-corn, potatoes, of course, etc. I tried to memorize what each crop looks like, but I already can't recall. Sometimes I feel like a total city-folk. Anyway, we ended at the spud cellar, and my grandpa sent me in to get some for dinner. I didn't want to disappoint him, so I grabbed the largest ones I could find, which he made fun of me for later. It was a fun ride with Grandpa and one of the highlights of that part of the trip. While growing up, Grandpa was always distant, stern, and didn't have much to do with us. In his old age, however, he has softened a lot and shows his affection for us more. I like it.
And, I love farms. The summers I lived with my grandparents at their other farm were so enjoyable. I love the openness of farms. I love the earth and watching things grow on it. I love an open sky. I wouldn't know the first thing about taking care of a farm, but I'm glad I've been exposed to them a little, and I love the time I spend at them.

No comments: