Saturday, July 19, 2008

Road Trip - Day Eighteen

Ms. Ecuador needed to go the Social Security office, so I spent the morning taking her there and to Walmart, where we spent a long time looking at cameras - she did finally select one. I told her I couldn't really help her pick one out, as I don't know much about cameras, and I suggested we ask the guy behind the counter. She said he looked kind of weird, or something like that, which I found amusing. He was totally gothic, with his died-black hair, black eyeliner and eyeshadow, tight pants and cloth shoes. He was super nice and totally helpful, so I'm glad she let me ask him for help. When we finally finished, she was so cute and told me I was her angel and that she would never be able to thank me enough. I just asked her to send me a postcard from the Grand Canyon, which she has already done. I hope I can find her email address, so I can write and tell her thank you. That's why I love the hostel thing - you get to meet some really nice people from all over the globe.

Before leaving Flagstaff, I ended up leaving my car at a NAPA, or somewhere like that, so they could run a check to figure out why the light was on. The shop is right on the Route 66, and I ate at a little restaurant nearby while I waited - I wish I had taken a picture of it. An hour later and a little poorer I got my car back; the man told me it is my catalytic converter, which didn't have to be dealt with at the time - that made me so happy - so I took off for Mesa.


In Mesa I got to spend the night with one of my best friends/former roommate. We went out to this fabulous restaurant for supper. When we left the restaurant, it was monsooning pretty hard, and we were soaked by the time we reached her car. I know I look scary in the picture, but that's when I'm soaked through, so be nice. We could barely see the lines on the street, but we made it home okay, changed out of our wet clothes, and watched the most awful version of Beauty and the Beast that I have ever seen. I figure I should buy a copy, and then if I'm ever visiting my parents, and my dad complains about what I'm watching, I'll just put Beauty and the Beast on and say, "Would you rather I watch this?" It was painful. It was like a low, low, low, low, low budget musical. Friend and I even fastforwarded through the songs because we couldn't take them. And yet, we watched the whole movie. Haha! Anyway, it was fun spending time with Friend.

No comments: