Sunday, August 7, 2011

SuperGirl

Sometimes I write and publish posts that I'm not sure that I should really write and publish. Here is one of them: Today makes four months. What better way to mark it than to introduce myself to the famous ex-girlfriend that haunted me for much of the relationship? I was aware of her even before dating the boy. I know many people who know her, and she has quite the reputation as being this amazing, talented girl. I figured she was the female equivalent to this friend of mine (incidentally, he's one of the people I know that knows her). Well, I heard many references to her while dating the boy. He always seemed to want us to meet; he thought we would like each other and be friends. When we would be visiting the city she lives in, he would often suggest we go see her. I didn't say no, but I was not at all displeased when it wouldn't work out. Towards the end, I started to think that maybe it wouldn't be a bad idea to meet. Then he broke up with me, and I didn't think it would be appropriate to Facebook her, although I kind of wanted to. When I got back from my summer trip recently, I went to visit my sister and her family for several days. We went to lunch this one day. Awhile into lunch, my sister asked, "So have you ever met SuperGirl? She's here." You see, my brother-in-law knew her through some church education stuff, and now they are all part of the same congregation. It looked like SuperGirl was at lunch with co-workers, so I didn't think that would be the appropriate time to go up and say, "So you probably don't know me, but I thought I'd say hi because I've heard so much about you. We both dated the boy." However, as you see, my world can be kind of small, so I figured it was only a matter of time until we did meet. I just wasn't thinking about it possibly being today when I went to my sister's congregation, so I wasn't very prepared for it. I figured I might as well go through with it, though. It would have bothered me more not to do it. And it's interesting how this person, who has heard about me but wasn't super aware of me, is someone who I have been VERY aware of for a long time. But now the intro is out of the way, and if we are in the same place at the same time again, I can be more at ease. This summer, another mutual friend of ours told me that given any other circumstance I probably would love to know her. If we continue to bump into each other, maybe we will become friends and we will laugh about our connection and my insecurities about dating a boy who dated a SuperGirl before me.

No comments: