Sunday, September 21, 2008

Eight Thoughts

1. Tonight I miss someone who doesn't really know I exist, at least, not the way I want him to.

2. Lu was an amazing bunk mate!!

3. The exterminator came to my school this past week, for which I am very grateful.

4. Tonight I got to listen to Lacy Nymeyer speak about her Olympic experience. I thought about how amazing the gifts are that Heavenly Father blesses us with. It made me very grateful for the abilities He gives us. I mean, He didn't bless me to be a fast swimmer - granted, I've never tried - but isn't it wonderful that He blessed someone to be! And He has blessed all of us with different gifts and talents. Some talents are less noticeable that Lacy's, but we have them, nonetheless, to glorify God and to build His kingdom. Yea!

5. I received a Facebook message from one of my best friends this week that said something like, "Jamie, I was talking to someone about you. Call me sometime." (By the way, she just got engaged - Congratulations, my dear friend. I LOVE you and am so happy for you!) I called her and found out she had been talking to her old-as-I-am single cousin, and was wondering if I would be okay with writing him. She was so cute and timid about it, not wanting to upset me, I think, but I assured her I don't mind. I'm usually kind of amused about this type of thing, and nothing has ever come of it. In fact, usually someone asks me if they can set me up with someone, and then they never do. Well, she sent me his email address and I wrote him, and here I am, a couple of days later, with no reply. I guess it shows my desperation that I actually wrote a guy I don't know, who lives far away, the day I got his info. Perhaps my letter was a little too much to handle. Or maybe he's a normal guy and won't write very often (no offense to any males out there, but it's not uncommon for you to take awhile to correspond). Or maybe I haven't given him enough time to write back - It really has only been a couple of days, so that's probably the case, and I'm just antsy to see if he's actually going to write.
*Addendum - yes, I just didn't give him enough time. He wrote.

6. I got to visit my B.G.F. (Best Guy Friend - that probably sounds lame, but I'm not sure what else to call him) yesterday, and I told him he's made a lot of changes for the better over the years that I've known him. He told me he feels like he's less judgemental these days. I told him I think I've gotten worse over the years - I'm more judgemental and opinionated, I think. "Jamie," he says, "You need to sin more. Then you won't be so judgemental." For some reason, I don't think that's the answer.

7. I got pulled over for the first time. Friday night, while driving up to Mesa, I was talking to my mom on the phone (bad Jamie! I know), when I suddenly noticed lights behind me. "Mom, I think I'm being pulled over." So she hung up while I pulled over. Was I speeding? I didn't think so. The officer asked for the normal documentation, which took me a minute to find. Then he asked me to walk back to his car. Does he think I'm drunk? I don't think I was swerving. I asked if I could move my car farther onto the shoulder first, which I did. When I walked back to his car, I found out the reason for the whole thing. "Did you know you have a headlight out?" Oh, that! "Yes. I've had it replaced a couple of times, so I don't think it's the bulb." The officer was nice, and I actually felt pretty calm throughout the ordeal. He gave me a warning, and now I just need to get my car in, and hopefully they'll fix the real problem, whatever that is.

8. Today I got to listen to my brother speak in his sacrament meeting. He is a good speaker, and he gave a very good talk. I also got to teach the Gospel Principles lesson on Heavenly Father. I'm so glad for the lesson. I know there is a god - I take that for granted. It's amazing to know that. It's amazing to know what He looks like (as in, He has a body of flesh and bone) and what He is like. We are His children. He loves us!! He really does - enough that He sent His Son. He wants us to return to Him. He is just, but He is also merciful. He forgives me even though I am so imperfect and I don't deserve it. I love Him, but I don't love Him enough. I hope I can.

No comments: