Monday, May 26, 2008

Sunday Night Musings

I just finished watching The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe. I'm planning on seeing Prince Caspian tomorrow (I know I've already seen it once, but I didn't pay for it the first time, so I figure it's okay for me to see it again), and I thought it would be nice to see the first movie first. It's been a long time since I've seen it, and watching it again, I was struck by the gospel messages in it. I was already feeling like quite the sinner, after saying some things to some friends tonight that I should not have said. The movie only rubbed in my failings more - in a good way, I hope.

C. S. Lewis had such an amazing understanding of Heavenly Father's plan for us. His story does such a good job of teaching the Savior and His atonement. I'm struck when I see Edmund talking to Aslan; then Aslan tells the others that what is done is done and they don't need to discuss it more. I get emotional when Aslan stands in Edmund's place as a blood sacrifice. At the end of the movie, I wondered why the children are made kings and queens when it is Aslan who is the ultimate hero and saviour. Then I remembered that it is the same for each of us. The Savior has done everything for us, including standing in for us and paying for our mistakes/sins. He is greater than all of us, yet He wants us to be kings and queens. He wants us to have all that He has.

Amazing.

And I am so imperfect. And even when I feel bad about things, like saying things I shouldn't, I realize that perhaps I feel bad, mostly, because I don't want others to know how imperfect I am, when I should really feel bad because I only want to serve God and I love my brothers and sisters and want to help them. I know that becoming like Christ is a longer than this life task, yet I get so impatient with myself because I know I can be better than I am. I guess it's just one step at a time. And while I wait to become who I need to be, I am so grateful for the Saviour, who loves me (and you, too) enough to pay for my failings, deliver me from the adversary, and help me move forward.

1 comment:

Kate said...

Man I totally get frustrated with myself too. I just want to fix all of my flaws today and it just doesn't work that way. It is frustrating in that you even have to be patient with yourself, and it seems like that is one of the more harder tasks. I think that you are amazing!!