Sunday, May 4, 2008

Socially Inept

This weekend was my weekend of parties. It reminded me that I need to be more social. Friday night I went to the birthday party of a girl in my ward. I didn't get there until kind of late because I first went out to dinner with a couple of friends, which was also nice. Anyway, there were a lot of people at the party, and I got there just in time to play Apples to Apples, which I lost, as usual, but I had fun playing, nonetheless.

A new friend of mine was at the party. He and I chatted a little and he sat next to me during the game. Part way through the game he asked me if I was okay. I told him I was just tired, which was partially true. I wanted to laugh as I realized that the reason he probably thought something was wrong was because I was a different Jamie than the one he had seen before. When I first met him there were only two other people present. I was really excited to meet him and probably much more outgoing. I always try to be enthusiastic when I see him because he's really nice and happy. However, when I'm with a lot of people, I tend to close up and become much more quiet.

Last night I went to a pizza party at this really cool guy's house. He had all the ingredients there, as well as recipes for several different kinds of pizzas. We all worked together to make them and then spent the night stuffing our faces. The guy who was in charge encouraged us to have really good converstaions with at least a couple of new people, so that he would feel like we weren't totally ignoring Elder Oak's dating advice.

My roommate and I stayed a long time - until charades. Once it was announced as the next activity, we decided we should leave. Before doing so, I poked my head out to the back yard to see if there was anyone I wanted to say good bye to. There was, so I went out and tried to say good bye. The guy that was out there asked why we were leaving. I explained that we didn't want to play charades, and he said, "Well, you don't have to play, you know. You could just sit out here with Friend and me and tell stories." Then we got to talking about how my roommate and I aren't very social. He asked why, and I told him that I think we feel a bit socially inept. He asked if I like it that way, and I replied No. Of course not. That's why I came tonight. That's why I went to the party last night.

Tonight I went to a birthday party for another friend. There were a ton of people there, and, although I was not very outgoing, I think I might have done the tiniest bit better. I tried to make a point to say hello to some specific people. Maybe if I find a party to go to every night, I'll be less socially inept by the end of the summer?

1 comment:

Kate said...

I wouldn't call it socially inept at all. After all I am very social, but get me in a large group of people that I don't know I close up as well. That is just your personality type. Don't feel like there is something wrong with you when there really isn't!! It is good to be social, but if you prefer small groups then invite a few people and do your own thing....