Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Emilee at One Week

One week ago today little Emilee joined her family. I had to post something to celebrate. My sister and brother-in-law let me spend the last two days at their place. I was hoping that I would be able to offer them some relief, but I also wanted to spend some time with my niece - can you blame me? I don't know if I was helpful or a nuisance - I hope I was the first. I got to do a little laundry, cooking, and a few dishes, but my favorite part, of course, was holding Emilee. So far she doesn't like nights, so my sister has let me take her a few times during the day, so she can rest. Those times have been great. It is neat to see her change a little each day, although I don't know if I could put my finger on exact changes. Mostly she sleeps or eats, but there was a little while where she was awake today that I got to hold her. It was so fun watching her observe the things around her. She just looks around and takes things in. I got pretty excited because it occurred to me that one of these days she and I will actually be able to interact with each other, more than my just being a pillow or a female who can't feed her.
I feel like I can understand a little how people talk about their lives changing when they have children. She is not mine, of course, but I feel very focused on her. In fact, I kind of feel like I have a foot stuck in Emilee world and a foot stuck in my world. I wonder if it will be hard for me to go back to work tomorrow. As I drove home this evening I thought, Okay, time to take aunt hat off and put teacher hat on. It feels like it might be kind of hard to transition, but I'm sure I'll soon put everything where it goes and adjust.

Anyway, thank you Sister and Brother-in-Law for letting me be there, and once again, Welcome, Emilee! I love you!

No comments: