Friday, August 1, 2008

Happy Birthday Roommate!


Happy birthday to you,

Happy birthday to you,

Happy birthday dear roommate!

Happy birthday to you!!

As you might notice, it is 2:00 a.m.! I did not stay up on purpose to be able to dedicate a song to my friend on her big day (sorry Roommate), but my mind is racing, and I got tired of laying there in bed (obviously not tired enough, though). When I was young, I had a difficult time falling asleep at night. I remember many a night getting up after everyone else had gone to bed to check on everything. I would make sure the doors were locked, I would tuck my siblings in their beds, and sometimes I would sit outside my parents bedroom door and cry because I was awake and everyone else was asleep.

For several years now I haven't had a problem falling asleep, and I decided that my insomnia was cured. However, nights like this remind me that I might not be better. I normally run on so little sleep that by the time I lay down at night it takes no time for me to go out. That's the way I like it - not the dead tired feeling, but the easy time falling asleep part. While I've been on vacation this summer, I have gone to bed way too late every night, but then I'm able to sleep in the next morning. I've been doing that shamefully lately. I think I've been getting enough hours, though, because when I go to bed at night I lay there and think for a good while first. Well, tonight I got fed up with waiting, and I remembered someone telling me that if you're not asleep after 20 minutes you should get up and do something and then try again. That's what I'm attempting. Hopefully it will work.

In the meantime I really do wish my roommate a very happy birthday. I won't be able to spend it with her, but I hope to make it up to her next week. I know the picture is scary, too (I mean, I look scary in it, not Roommate), but it's the only one I have of the two of us (and I'll have you know it was before a themed dance - I'll let you figure out the decade).

No comments: