Sunday, March 9, 2008

Boys Who Do the Dishes

I just had one of the most enjoyable evenings I've had in a long time. I've been wanting to invite some particular boys over for dinner for awhile but haven't had the chance to until this week. I like to invite people over for dinner on Sundays - I kind of enjoy cooking for others, and it's a nice way to get to know people a little better. I felt a little stressed for today's meal, though, because there were going to be lots of us eating, which meant that a lot of food needed to be prepared. My sister promised to help out, though, which made me feel like it would be manageable. She and my brother-in-law, as well as my roommates, all helped out, and I think we made a pretty fabulous meal - salad, bread, paella, and homemade lemonade for dinner; flan and lemon meringue pie for dessert. Yummm! The food was good, the company even better. I felt shy, as I often do around cool people that I don't know well, but it was still fun to listen to everyone talk and joke, etc.

After dinner I got to go to a fireside with Sis. Susan Tanner and her husband, who spoke about hope, faith, and charity. I've met Sis. Tanner once before and enjoyed listening to her. I've wondered what her husband was like and was really impressed with his thoughts tonight. He is a dean at BYU, and you could definitely tell that he's an educator. I told my roommate that it made me miss college - I would love to take a class from him and just soak in his thoughts. He presented hope in a way that I have never thought of before by talking about the opposites of hope and faith. He and his wife also spoke of repentance as being the process of coming back to oneself; sin is a going away from oneself. So, the fireside was wonderful!

And, if all of that wasn't enough, which it really was, after we got back home, the guys suddenly showed up and washed our dishes for us - AMAZING!! They're keepers, for sure. I kind of wondered if they would do that - they seemed like they might be of that caliber, but it definitely wasn't anything they needed to do. It was just thoughtful and nice. Lately I'm realizing how cynical I am because of how surprised I am that someone would do something like that for me. So, thanks, boys, for shattering my reality (in a good way)!

No comments: