Sunday, March 25, 2012

Dating in the 21st Century

I just noticed that I have 400 posts on here - crazy! Anyhow, it's so late that I don't have time to really get into everything I want to write about. This past week was my Spring Break, so I drove North to visit some family and friends. It was really nice to spend some time with my grandparents and my brother and his family (who just moved into a beautiful house - congrats!). I also saw some dear friends, which was great. I went to dinner with one friend, and he chose to go to a different place than I had planned - I'm glad he did because while we were there, in came an uncle of mine, who doesn't live in that town. I would not have seen him otherwise, so that was kind of cool. I also saw a few of my cousins and their families, and it was fun to see their babies and get to know their wives a little bit. I'm glad that I had the chance to go on that little roadtrip.

To address the title of my post - I have joined another online site. I have been kind of unimpressed by what I have seen so far, but I think society is changing so much with technology, and I feel like online is another facet of the dating scene now, so here I am (or, at least, maybe the older a person gets, the more it becomes part of the scene). I actually went on this group get-to-know-more-people thing last night. One of my friends puts together some sort of activity every-so-often, and we invite a ton of people, and then she puts everyone into different groups, so that we can become acquainted with more people while doing something fun. Last night's activity was going to dinner at a local restaurant (but one that is international in theme - the one I went to was Malaysian - yummy!) and then meeting back up for dessert with everyone. My friend made me one of the table captains, which meant that I was just in charge of trying to keep people in my group informed (which I didn't do because I was driving back from my trip - but I had a partner, fortunately) about where to go and when, etc., and I was supposed to try to keep the conversation going at dinner. Anyhow, I didn't know the other table captain - a dude. He seemed really nice, though, and I was reminded that there are people near my age who are in similar places in their lives. I am glad for the reminder that I do have peers.

However, although I would happily get to know him better, he showed absolutely no interest in me, while at the same time, this other guy has written me, and he'll be near my town this week, and do I want to go to dinner? I still don't like the stigma that I feel comes with online dating. More importantly, I don't like not knowing if the person is who he says he is. Even with a blind date, although I don't know the guy, someone that I do know does and is recommending the person. But online - there isn't that kind of reference for the person. But I'm trying to keep an open mind, so I hope the men are legit (although it probably wouldn't hurt to buy some pepper spray, right?).

No comments: