Friday, May 1, 2009

Lida Rose, Part II

Running is not my thing - I'm not sure if you're all aware of that or not, but I usually prefer not to do it. I tried, though. I ran with him for awhile. Finally, I told him something about not being able to keep doing it, I think, and we walked a little.

"I could run ahead and get your . . . but you don't know where to go. Tell me when you're ready to run again!"

"Okay."

After a brief respite, I said, "Alright."

"Ready?"

"Sure."

We ran not much farther when he informed me that he was going to run ahead and get my ticket. "Just keep running - it's the building straight in front of us."

Yeah. I kept that up for a few moments and then decided to walk again. When I finally came galumphing to the theater, he was still waiting to get it, which he did, and we walked in the theater. It was a very small theater, with the floor as the stage, so I'm guessing that's why it was so important to not be late.

Once we got settled, I immediately began to fan myself with my program. "Seriously!" he says and follows suit. The play didn't start for another few minutes, so we were totally fine. The run had sort of dried out my throat, and so I was worried for awhile that I was going to have a coughing fit and have to get up and walk across the stage or climb over, or through, the bars behind us to escape. I looked at the program and told myself that I just had to make it through 13 songs, at which point it would be intermission, and I could leave to get a drink. Due to a sudden change of plans, amongst other things, I also started to feel panic threatening me. There was no way I was about to let that happen, so I took necessary measures and after a short time I got into the play and really enjoyed it.

When I got back from the restroom after intermission, he had bought me a cookie, which was nice, especially since I hadn't eaten supper that night. Once the play was over (which was pretty good, I thought), he gave me a ride to my car, during which time he brought up how lines that are quoted often in talks and things to encourage us to be good often come from more sordid moments of the productions they come from, and then he sang an entire song to me from Camelot to illustrate his point because I didn't recognize it. Oh, the irony of it all!! Something that girls dream about, and it happens to me in a situation in which it means nothing. I'm not complainging - I'll still take it - I just find certain moments in my life kind of funny. Anyway, it was a splendid night, and I'm grateful to have had such a wonderful evening.

No comments: