Sunday, September 13, 2009

Making a Garden

Warren and the tiller in the morning. We have a big day ahead of us. I think most of the day was spent tilling the hard ground, which had a lot of rocks and caliche in it.
Teaching Devin how to use the tiller.I was pretty useless - I raked while the guys did the hard work.
After tilling we spread composted mulch over the area.
Next came vegetable fertilizer.We planted most of the above items. Some are yet to be planted. Ahhh . . . happy, industrious gardeners.
Zac looking smug about his work. Before planting, he and a few other guys - wait! I actually tried a row - tilled the dirt, mulch, and fertilizer together.Warren and I planting carrots, I think. Ta-da!!! A garden.
After roughly six hours of labor, this is what we ended up with. It was a great way to spend Labor Day, and I'm totally indebted to the friends who helped make it happen. It was tiring, and some of us got pretty burnt in the process, but it was a satisfying work - an enjoyable work.
Abbie and I spotted two sprouts yesterday, and the things that were already plants haven't wilted and died yet, so cross your fingers.

No comments: